Interested in joining the Brookes team? You can apply for an open position, pursue a Brookes internship, or submit your resume for future consideration if you don’t see a position that matches your skills.
To apply, please send, fax, or email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to:
ATTN: HR Department
P.O. Box 10624
Baltimore, MD 21285-0624
Fax: (410) 337-2608
Please, no telephone calls—we’ll call you if you’re under consideration for a position. Brookes Publishing is an equal opportunity employer.
The ideal candidate will have an in-depth understanding of the education marketplace and a well-developed ability to identify quality projects that serve this market’s needs. The editor will have a proven track record acquiring quality titles and developing effective publication plans that meet or exceed agreed upon revenue targets. The acquisitions editor should enjoy developing and nurturing relationships with authors and working collaboratively with internal stakeholders to acquire and deliver pedagogically sound, practical, relevant resources for the Education marketplace. In addition to recruiting new authors and strengthening relationships with our existing authors, the Acquisitions Editor works closely with Sales and Marketing staff to strategize editorial direction, conceptualize derivative products, and vet market viability of titles and product lines.
The successful candidate is a self-starter looking for a leadership opportunity and has a track record of developing reputable, financially viable books and products. Deep knowledge of trends in the education and disabilities field and strong existing relationships with authors in the field are preferred.
The Acquisitions Editor will report to the Editorial Director and be responsible for:
- Working with Editorial Director to establish priorities and to ensure the resulting publishing program reflects Brookes Publishing’s standing in the Education marketplace;
- Working with the Editorial Director to develop a strategic editorial plan for aggressive growth of the list; creating three-year projections for all acquired titles, tracks progress on signings, and ensures on-time delivery of manuscripts
- Working closely with internal teams (e.g., production, marketing) to shepherd work from manuscript through publication and beyond
- Identifying, evaluating, and developing submissions, projects, and proposals, including:
- Monitoring trend and sales data
- Working closely with authors to develop research and work
- Arranging for projects to be independently reviewed by qualified experts
- Developing and implementing publication plans for each project including performing market and competitive analyses, summarizing the content, identifying potential markets, and outlining financial plans including costs, suggested price, and number of copies
- Crafting and presenting new and proposed book projects to Editorial Committee weekly
- Negotiating agreements s for books and book series; working with authors to ensure that terms are met
- Preparing and implementing product development plans with authors to ensure timely manuscript delivery
- Working direct reports to ensure the timely and complete delivery of content to Production staff for publication in print and digital formats
- Maintaining current knowledge of educational trends and practices as well as new methods of publishing and delivering content
- Keeping Brookes Publishing publications at the forefront of the field and closely track original and consequential research suitable for publicatio
- Regularly visiting key campuses, attending professional conferences, cultivating relationships with leading researchers and authors, and engaging deeply with the relevant literature
- Preparing annual qualitative and quantitative assessments of the lists
- Working cooperatively with our team of acquisitions editors and assistants;
- Setting standards of professionalism and leadership in interactions with all internal staff;
- Representing and acting as an ambassador for Brookes Publishing in all external interactions;
- Performing other duties as needed or required.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of publishing experience required. Previous experience with educational or scholarly publishing preferred.
- A strong track record of acquisitions in the field
- Exceptional editorial skill in guiding authors and shaping manuscripts
- Proficiency with publishing agreements and revenue projections
- Pragmatic problem-solving and analytical thinking Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization, time management, prioritization, and planning skills
- Ability to work independently and to work in a team-environment with accuracy, flexibility, and cordiality
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work with academic authors
Are you a college student with a strong interest in the editorial and/or marketing aspects of publishing? We offer full- and part-time internships throughout the year. If you’re interested in joining the Brookes team, consult the internship requirements of your college or university and mail or fax us a résumé and cover letter that describes your interests and career aspirations.
If you are a writer with experience or a strong interest in the fields we cover—autism, communication, early childhood development and intervention, education, inclusion, learning and developmental disabilities—we invite you to send writing samples and a letter of interest explaining your experience in the areas we cover to firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome writers with a good understanding of our audience to contribute articles and content for our newsletters and web.
Who we are
Located in Towson, Maryland (just north of Baltimore), Brookes Publishing is an independent highly respected educational publishing company with a strong focus on helping all people—with and without disabilities—achieve their goals and lead fulfilling, self-directed lives. We publish 50+ new titles a year on screening and assessment, autism, literacy, behavior, communication, and more. Learn more about our mission.