The accurate, reliable way to assess teacher–child interactions
For programs serving children from 15–36 months
With this toddler version of the widely used Classroom Assessment Scoring System® (CLASS®) tool, your early childhood program will have an accurate, reliable way to assess classrooms. For use with children from 15–36 months, the CLASS Toddler tool assesses teacher–child interactions, a primary ingredient of early educational experiences that prepare children for future school success.
This reliable and valid tool:
- assesses two crucial domains of teacher–child interaction: Emotional and Behavioral Support and Engaged Support for Learning
- provides developmentally appropriate descriptions of what effective interactions look like in toddler classrooms
- establishes an accurate picture of classroom interactions through brief, repeated observation and scoring cycles
- highlights areas of strength and areas for growth useful for guiding improvement efforts
The CLASS Toddler dimensions
The CLASS Toddler tool measures eight critical dimensions that fall under two domains:
Emotional and behavioral support
- positive climate
- negative climate
- teacher sensitivity
- regard for child perspectives
- behavior guidance
Engaged support for learning
- facilitation of learning and development
- quality of feedback
- language modeling
Sign up to receive a free, sample CLASS Dimensions Overview.
Reliable use of the CLASS tool requires training. The two-day CLASS® Observation Training prepares observers to use the measure accurately and culminates with a test and one-year CLASS observer certification. For more information on recommended training, availability, and scheduling, please visit the Teachstone website.