The Special Educator’s Toolkit: Building a Model Classroom
Reduce your stress and support student success! In each of these seminars, Dr. Cindy Golden—a special educator, administrator, and psychologist with almost 30 years of experience—takes you through her innovative, research-based approach to creating effective classrooms where every child learns. Based on Dr. Golden’s popular book, The Special Educator’s Toolkit, these seminars will help you organize your classroom and expertly manage everything, from schedules and paperwork to student supports and behavior plans.
Dr. Golden walks you step by step through 6 critical aspects of organization:
- Environment. Make the most of every inch of classroom space! Clean out clutter, arrange furniture to improve traffic flow, and construct classroom zones, work stations, and bulletin board displays that support learning.
- Communication. Implement low-cost communication supports that meet student needs. Make simple picture symbol books, interactive schedules, labels for classroom areas and objects, and more.
- Teaching Methods and Materials. Determine student needs, create schedules, simplify the IEP process, and pinpoint the best methods for teaching academic, vocational, behavioral, social, and life skills.
- Behavioral Systems. Organize a successful behavioral system that motivates students, helps them improve behavior and social skills, and uses positive reinforcement techniques.
- Data and Paperwork. Learn the secrets to creating a simple, logical, highly efficient system for managing paperwork—so more time can be spent on teaching.
- Staff and Home Supports. Build trusting, respectful relationships with classroom staff and parents with stress-free strategies like team meetings and home communication notebooks.
Choose the seminar that’s right for you and your staff:
1 day: Overview
Get a helpful overview of each of the six key aspects of classroom organization and management. Dr. Golden will spend about 45 minutes on each of the steps listed above: Environment, Communication, Teaching Methods and Materials, Behavioral Systems, Data and Paperwork, and Staff and Home Supports. For each of these critical areas, you’ll discover strategies, vivid examples, and clever tips and tricks to help you make immediate improvements in your own classroom.
2 day: Comprehensive
Need more in-depth training on each step to success? Choose the two-day seminar! On each day, Dr. Golden will cover three of the six areas of effective classroom management and organization. You’ll spend more than an hour and a half on each step, and you’ll get a chance to work on examples and ideas specific to your own school. And like the single-day seminar, the two-day option arms you with strategies, examples, and tips and tricks you can use right away.
3 day: Intensive
The most intensive training option for The Special Educator’s Toolkit, this three-day seminar fully prepares you to implement success strategies in your own classroom. Dr. Golden will spend almost 3 hours on each of the six key steps: Environment, Communication, Teaching Methods and Materials, Behavioral Systems, Data and Paperwork, and Staff and Home Supports. You’ll come away with a solid, ready-to-implement plan for your classroom, based on your specific needs.